Premier Equipment Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act Policy
Premier Equipment Ltd. (Premier) strives to meet the requirements of Ontario Regulation 191/11 under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 in finding, hiring and supporting people with disabilities.
The purpose of this Policy is to outline Premier’s commitment to finding, hiring, and supporting employees in a way that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. We are also committed to giving people with disabilities the same opportunities as other employees.
This policy applies to all employees.
Management and Human Resources are responsible to ensure the standards outlined herein are followed when finding, hiring and supporting people with disabilities. They must ensure that opportunities are provided to all employees equally.
Employees are responsible for abiding by this Policy.
- Any degree of physical disability, infirmity, malformation or disfigurement that is caused by bodily injury, birth defect or illness and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes diabetes mellitus, epilepsy, a brain injury, any degree of paralysis, amputation, lack of physical co-ordination, blindness or visual impediment, deafness or hearing impediment, muteness or speech impediment, or physical reliance on a guide dog or other animal or on a wheelchair or other remedial appliance or device.
- A condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability.
- A learning disability, or a dysfunction in one or more of the processes involved in understanding or using symbols or spoken language.
- A mental disorder; or
- An injury or disability for which benefits were claimed or received under the insurance plan established under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act.
Premier is committed to excellence in employing people with disabilities and we will carry out our functions and responsibilities in the following areas:
- Premier is committed to finding and employing persons with disabilities. We will advertise all jobs in ways that allow persons of all abilities to identify opportunities and apply regardless of their abilities.
- All job applicants will be notified verbally or in writing of the availability of accommodations for applicants with a disability that may or may not be visible.
- Applicants will be informed that accommodations will be available upon request for interviews, testing, and other selection methods.
- All successful applicants will be made aware of the policies and support for accommodating employees with disabilities.
Accessible Formats and Communication Supports:
- Upon request Premier will provide accessible formats and communication support for information needed for an employee to do their job and information that is generally available to all employees.
- We are committed to providing fully accessible telephone service to our customers and potential employees. We will train staff to communicate with customers and potential employees over the telephone in clear and plain language and to speak clearly and slowly.
Documented Individual Accommodation Plans:
- We are committed to working with any employees who identify as having a disability. As such we will work with employees to develop and implement a process for documenting individual accommodation plans for employees with disabilities. We will work with the employee in the development of a plan that meets their individual needs. We will also work with the employee to determine when the plan should be reviewed or updated.
- We will also ensure that steps are taken to protect the privacy of the employee’s personal information and that all means of accommodation are based on the employee’s accessibility needs.
Plans and Processes:
- We will tailor workplace response plans to accommodate people with disabilities. We will also provide this information to employees with disabilities upon request. All steps will be taken to ensure the privacy of the individual’s personal information.
Training for Staff:
Premier will provide training to all Managers, Human Resources, and others who are involved in recruiting, hiring, promoting, as well as developing and approving policies, practices and procedures.
This training will be provided within one (1) month after staff commences their duties.
Training will include the following:
- The purposes of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Premier’s job postings or other employment tools
- Premier’s policies, practices and procedures relating to the customer service and integrated accessibility standard.
Applicable employees will be trained on policies, practices and procedures that affect the way employees are found, hired, and supported. Employees will also be trained on an ongoing basis when changes are made to these policies, practices and procedures.
The ultimate goal of Premier is to meet and surpass customer expectations while serving customers with disabilities. Comments on our services regarding how well those expectations are being met are welcome and appreciated.
Feedback regarding the way Premier provides goods and services to people with disabilities can be made by Email, verbally, mail, telephone or via our contact page at www.premierequipment.ca. All feedback will be directed to Premier’s Human Resource Department. Customers can expect to hear back within seventy-two (72) hours (excluding evenings, weekends and holidays).
Modifications to This or Other Policies:
We are committed to developing employment policies that respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. Therefore, no changes will be made to this Policy before considering the impact on people with disabilities. Any Policy of Premier that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
Questions about This Policy:
This Policy exists to achieve service excellence to employees with disabilities. If anyone has a question about the Policy, or if the purpose of a Policy is not understood, an explanation should be provided by, or referred to the Human Resources.
Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 – Integrated Standard
For more information or assistance, please submit a request via our Contact Us section or call 519-669-5453.